Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 3

Today started out very rough.  My 6 am nap was not very refreshing and I really felt exhausted.  I had to be active to avoid falling back asleep.  I took a short drive to pick up milk and a donut for breakfast, which probably wasn't the smartest idea.  Nothing bad happened but I don't think I should drive much unless I feel well rested.  I really struggled to stay awake until 10:00.

Waking up from my 10:00 rest was amazing.  I felt the polar opposite of how I felt before it, and although I don't really remember dreaming, I feel like I did, which means I finally got some REM sleep.  This led to the whole day being much more in focus and it was very easy to stay up.  I skipped my 2 pm nap because I lost track of time, but I didn't notice anything from it and still felt rested after my 6 pm nap.  I got little rest at 10 pm because people were loud in the other room but I still felt awake.  

Today was the best night by far.  I spent it hanging out with other people the whole time so I didn't get bored.  A bunch of people stayed around to play video games until about 1 am.  I then went with two other people for a walk to chucks where we hung out for a while before returning home at almost exactly 2 am.  We all took the 30 min nap and after waking up we left to wander the streets.

I felt so awake and alive.  The cold air, the light exercise of walking, and the silence around me that amplifies all other sounds fully rejuvenated me.  We climbed onto the roof of a building and found a ball that we then used to juggle for the next 20 min or so in a parking lot.  Being active like this was exactly what I needed and it felt so great that early in the morning.  We then continued to wander around for a while and just took in our beautiful city and how different it is when everyone is asleep.  Walking back home at around 4:30, I felt more awake than I have in a long time.

However, just 40 min of being by myself sitting at my computer, I am starting to crash.  My eyes are getting a lot heavier and I am really getting ready for sleep.  It isn't too hard to push the last 45 min until 6 so I'm not worried that I won't make it.  

Polyphasic sleep have been very interesting so far.  I am able to fall asleep quickly almost anywhere now, which is very convenient.  My last two naps were on a couch that isn't as long as I am.  I also fall asleep much faster than I used to.  Today I didn't eat as much as in some of the first days, so I don't know how much more food is required by polyphasic sleep versus monophasic sleep.  Finally waking up is a lot easier now, which is a big help.

I look forward to continuing my experiment tomorrow!

No comments: