Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 4

Once again the 6 am nap was by far the hardest, and this morning I messed up while setting the kitchen timer so I just had my watch timer.  I must have slept right through it.  Luckily one of my friends decided to try out polyphasic sleep and called me around 7 informing me of this choice so I only overslept by about 30 min.  I was very sleepy during this morning time but was able to make it to my 10 am nap.  Once again, I left this nap feeling wonderful and awake.

I didn't have much to occupy myself with this morning so it went slowly.  I was pretty awake and just killed time before my 2pm nap.  I slept through that one perfectly and after I got up I drove up to San Francisco to meet a friend.  This drive really tested out my alertness and level of mental clarity.  It probably was unsafe, but it all worked out just fine.  I even pushed back my 6 pm nap to around 7:30 pm because I didn't want to leave this particular friend at this time.  My drive back was just fine even though I hadn't slept yet and when I got home I briefly talked to some people online and went to sleep.

I overslept again, not sure why this time.  I guess I didn't hear my timers.  Once again I woke up to a phone call from a friend.  I went to sleep at about 7:45 and got up at 9 so again it wasn't too bad, but I need to stop doing this.  I started this night by hanging out with the same friends I did last night and probably will each night I do this.  I showed up at 10ish and took a nap while they played video games.  I woke up fine and joined them until around 1 am, at which time we decided to head out to the streets and wander.  Any time I am active I feel wide awake and I really enjoy seeing the world at night when so many people are asleep.

We returned to his house at about 2:45 and I took another 30 min nap, from which I woke up without any difficulty.  We played video games for a while and then I left to go home around 4:30 am.  Not ready to sleep, I decided to try roller blading some outside, an activity I hadn't done in a while but though might be a good mode of transportation at night.  Unfortunately I am not good enough to really stop on a hill and fell hard twice.  Hopefully the pain won't keep me up, since the 6 am nap is the one I least want to ever skip.  I have not completely abandoned the idea of roller skating, but I want to practice more on really flat ground, maybe carrying flip flops to wear to walk up and down any hills I find.

I believe I am having dreams but they are hazy and I don't remember much.  This probably means I am coming out of REM sleep before I wake up.  I might consider shortening the nap from 30 min to 25 min.  Overall I am very awake except if I sit and do nothing.  I was even more awake on the car ride home than I was most days as I drove home from school on a monophasic sleep schedule where I got 9+ hours of sleep each night.  I am very pleased with the results so far.

No comments: