Sunday, June 1, 2008

It starts!

Today, I start my polyphasic sleep experiment.  I will attempt to sleep for about 30 minutes every 4 hours, for a total of 3 hours of sleep per day.  The idea is once my body adjusts, it will go directly into REM sleep so that in three hours of sleep broken up into 6 parts, I get as much REM sleep as 9 hours of monophasic sleep.  Some think I'll go crazy, some think my body will break down, and some think I will have really trippy dreams.  I hope  the latter is true!

Right now, I am very tired.  I just had grad night where I stayed awake until 5:30 am so my body is in sleep deprivation mode to the extreme.  I am very spacey right now and probably won't know until tomorrow if any of this makes sense.  Hopefully this sleep deprivation will help me adjust to polyphasic sleep more quickly.  One of my friends, Sam, is doing this with me starting today, but I am fairly sure he didn't pull an al night last night so we will be able to examine the differences.  I'm sure he will be more awake today, but will he take longer to adjust?  Who knows.  I'll fill you in on our different experiences with this sleep cycle as time progresses.

Finally a lot of people have asked why I am doing this.  My answer is simply for the experience.  I'm bored and I need some kind of summer project, so why not?  At the very least I'll entertain my friends with this crazy blog as I spiral into oblivion.  Enjoy! =)

No comments: